Grumpy lefties and VENONA

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 7 18:07:47 PST 1999

Jacob Segal wrote:

> I don't believe that Truman, Eisenhower, et al. would have, outside of open
> war, willfully killed millions of people in particular acts for which
> responsiblity could not have been avoided.

Had you been sitting in the Kremlin in 1945 (after the Potsdam Conference and the flagrant barbarianism of Nagasaki (*certainly* not necessary for peace), would you have risked the very existence of your country on public opinion restraining Truman or Eisenhower? Do you think the Rosenbergs should have put their faith in that?

Even some voices in the u.s. ruling class had suggested sharing the atomic "secret" with the Russians, so the refusal to do so carried possibly sinister implications.

There is at least enough doubt for us to see the Rosenbergs and other spies (if they were) as benefactors of humanity -- and their deaths as murder.

Carrol