"Steel Crazy or the Holy Grail of Steelmaking"

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Wed Dec 8 08:13:14 PST 1999

[ Below is an e-mail message to a steel industry list. If the Pitt story is true, it's the steel industry equivalent of Jonas Salk.]

I'm curious if anyone has any comments on the research of Tony D'Ardo and C.I. Garcia at the University of Pittsburgh.

According to Pitt Magazine December 1999, D'Ardo and Garcia have achieved a break through in clean steel making technology. The Pitt researchers have discovered a cost effective substitute for lead in the steel making process--with--none of the environmental or process problems associated with lead. And the end result attested to by end users is superior machinability(sic) & quality!

Already, one of my pals claims he tried a serendipitous experiment with the same lead substitute that D'Ardo and Gracia claim to use. His little serendipitous effort was about 7 years ago and he claims he nearly got fired over it. :o)

Tom Lehman Lynn R. Williams Learning Center United Steelworkers of America 3315 W. 21st Street Lorain, Ohio 44053 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/19991208/4a7a571e/attachment.htm>