nz greens

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Dec 8 13:20:32 PST 1999

G'dday John It means that the Labour/alliance govt don't have an absolute majority at the moment, due to the redistribution of seats - this isn't as bigger problem as it might seem as the greens where part of the alliance until recently and will probably block with the Labour/Alliance govt on just about anything, excepting some specific green issues (farmers are scared of the greens and the govt is unlikely to support any major additional regulation of agriculture outside of genetically modified foods) . Nandor Tanczos is way cool on the tellie - young guy with dreadlocks and a south pacific rasta attitude but to me the real interest value in the greens is Sue Bradford. She must hold the world record for getting arrested on demo's of which she has organized more than anyone else anywhere (last APEC round for instance). Sue has probably been THE activist nemesis of the new right here since the early eighties through her role in the unemployed workers movement - the tories are privately spewing over this development as are a number of union bureaucrats whom shall remain nameless, who she has irritated over the years. All of this could change as a number of legal challenges to results are likely which particularly in the case of Tauranga, held by the NZ first leader Winston Peters by 63 votes, could see a major redistribution of seats. Naturally to if the tories win Coromandel in court the Greens will be out again. Any redistribution will likely favour the govt so its largely a question of whether or not the Labour/alliance will need the greens or not. It has to be said that this election has been a fuck up of the first order with slow counts and even a 100 ballot papers vanishing in an electorate where the member has a majority of under seventy- the constitutional law dudes can't fine a precedent here so are looking to the electoral law of places like Bangladesh for guidance. A real bright spot for me in all this is the election of Georgina Beyer, the labour candidate in the predominately semi-rural Wairarapa, and first trans- gendered MP in New Zealand. Prior to this she was a much admired mayor of a supposedly redneck town. go Georgina