Is the Coalition Falling Apart?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 8 18:54:57 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >I would like to point out for the record that those plunging ahead
> >dogmatically on their own, ignoring all other coalition participants,
> >are everyone but marxists.
>
> Oh c'mon Carrol. You're looking for trouble. The world presents us
> with enough on its own without your promoting it.

All I know is that innumerable marxists, including you (on this list, on pen-l, on marxism, and on l-i) have responded warmly to the events at Seattle and spoken of building on that. I'm not looking for trouble, but the anarchists are calling each other names (see Chuck0's latest post) and no one on either pen-l or lbo responded to my query of whether anarchists were willing to work with non-anarchists.

And your own most direct reference to the topic suggested that marxists would not be willing to talk to anarchists. Have you stopped beating your wife lately? I want to know if anarchists are willing to talk to marxists? To non-violent left liberals? Or are they going to tear the Seattle coalition apart?

My posts are the opposite of looking for trouble. They are an olive branch for god's sake.

Carrol