[Fwd: Re: Grumpy lefties and VENONA]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu Dec 9 06:26:58 PST 1999

Apsken at aol.com wrote:

> Would Katha also be shocked, shocked, to learn that an occasional red in
> the 1950s might indeed have sought to overthrow the United States government,
> despite having pleaded innocent to such charges during the Smith Act show
> trials?
> The purpose of those trials, and the Rosenberg prosecution, were to
> criminalize radical political thought and action. The people who defended
> those cases, despite differences among themselves (read Al Richmond, Arthur
> Kinoy, and Morton Sobell; talk to them too), were fighting that battle,
> honorably and sensibly.
> By Katha's standards, communists should have fallen on their swords in
> order to save latter-day liberals some discomfort. This is odd when you
> consider that not even the most venal of the redbaiting historians today
> claims that the Rosenbergs' trial was "fair."
>
> Ken Lawrence

did I say i was " shocked, shocked" by evidence of Julius's having passed something to Soviets? No. I didn't even say I thought Commies should have "fallen on their swords." I said that IF they had done so, they wouldn't be looking deceptive now. I mean, people spent their LIVES defending the innoccence of the rosenbergs -- the Schneirs, for example -- don't you think they feel like a big pair of jerks to have the horrible Ron Radosh win the debate?

My father was blacklisted in the l950s (he was a UE lawyer and worked on some of the Smith Act cases), the FBI used to go through our garbage. Arthur Kinoy was my parents' friend -- I know a lot firsthand about what the fifties were like for CP families. Almost half a century later, it ought to be possible to talk rationally about whether the CP made all the right decisions about how to deal with a repressive era--like having its members deny their politics in order to appeal to the liberals you all claim to despise.

What's next? the Stalin -Hitler pact was a great idea because (as I was brought up to believe) it gave Stalin time to get ready for war?

Katha