LM, doing the Virginia Postrel thing

Thu Dec 9 11:29:27 PST 1999

You are as much of a prevaricator as J. Heartfield. Nothing cookedup or zany about what I said. Your summary of the exchange is a crock of stuff, like your analyses and those of LM, specifically now your rightwing, Tory analysis of Seattle. The tone of amazement and innocence you assume is phony.

I don't just believe I am a Marxist. I am one. And anyway you certainly wouldn't be a good judge of that. And God can't help you with all that disgraceful stuff you keep saying.

CB

>>> Russell Grinker <grinker at mweb.co.za> 12/09/99 12:52PM >>>
Wow Charles Brown certainly cooks up some pretty zany stuff. First I object to someone's gutter-level debating style. Then I point out that there just might be a few problems with "American" workers dumping foreign steel into a harbour as part of the Seattle WTO events. This apparently marks me out as a "Tory" and a (British) "chauvinist" to boot. And all this from someone who apparently believes he's a Marxist! If this kind of hysterical tirade is what passes for Marxist discourse in the US today then god help us!

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, December 09, 1999 5:39 PM Subject: Re: LM, doing the Virginia Postrel thing

>The LM line in general sounds rightwing or Tory to me, including the LM
article on Seattle. And the a major point of origin of modern chauvinism is Britain. And the American Boston Tea Party marked a militant protest against British imperialism and chauvinism , so a Tory like you would know about "chauvinism" more than I would. It sounds nonsensical for you to be chastising me about chavinism. You are the one who doesn't understand chauvinsim and racism, has a chauvinist and racist political line.

>I would call something you say racist , if it were racist. And I should
,of course. Another rightwing line that LM has is discouraging using or terming many things as "racist". This is a racist position itself. This is one of the racists' main positions today. In other words, LM has a generally racist line on the use of the term "racist". We need more calling out of racism as racist, not less as you imply., It is not some political error to frequently use the term "racist", as you think. The political error and racist position is to speak as you do below,as if people are being called racist too much. Au contraire, my chauvinist "leftist".

>This is exactly what my previous post means. It is not disagreeing with me
per se that caused my comment, but the politically incorrect substance of your positions on Seattle that I very appropriately label "Tory" and imply is chauvinist.