[Fwd: Re: Is Bad Writing Necessary?]

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Dec 9 18:45:00 PST 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Katha Pollitt wrote:

> language. Unlike the audience of either orwell or Adorno, grad students
> are not really free to say Butler is turgid and barely
> comprehensible--their job is to learn to write that way too!

Oh yes we are free to say so, especially if the program is any good at all. Comp Lit programs in particular are places where critical thinking is cherished and respected, and where folks are expected to do the unexpected, if that makes any sense.

-- Dennis