New species

dhorne at telus.net dhorne at telus.net
Fri Dec 10 04:56:52 PST 1999

At 09:49 PM 12/10/1999 +1100, you wrote:
>G'day Observers,
>
>So I see we're about to start creating life-forms from scratch. Put that
>together with a world in which profit drives production, and you have
>life-forms created to help some increase their profits. In a world
>infested with wars, we might expect handy little warriors (you can't make
>antidotes for germs that don't exist yet, for instance). *Brave New World*
>needs updating, perhaps.
>
>Anyway, is there anything we should be thinking about in this respect?
>
>Cheers,
>Rob.
>

>"Brave New Nightmare" is more like it. Once again [as always?] technology
is running far ahead of ethics. The scope and sophistication of electronic and virtual snooping is nothing less than terrifying. The other day, some cop or other was waxing enthusiastic about a "DNA sweeper", a device that could pick up your DNA from traces of your breath that you leave behind you in a room. Germs that attack specific groups of people. Etc and more etc.

And as Rob says, a technology controlled by people whose only motive is profit, and who [my addendum] would cheerfully destroy the planet and enslave its people just to look good a stockholders meeting.

Was Seattle important or what?

David Horne Vancouver BC