nz greens

jmage at panix.com jmage at panix.com
Fri Dec 10 08:00:11 PST 1999

Russell Grinker forwarded from an unnamed NZ LM commentator:

>In effect, the Greens are the most naked face of the anti-humanist and
>irrationalist trends that are so prevalent in contemporary society.
>Whereas the capitlaist put profits before people, the Greens prefer trees
>and animals, which is hardly a step forward. It is hardly accidental that
>the Greens did best in the party vote in the more privileged white middle
>and upper income constituencies. Indeed they draw from a similar
>constituency to ACT. But ACT represents the more upbeat elements of this
>class sector, while the Greens represent the more pessimistic elements.

It was predictable that the nz greens would drive LM into a delicious rage, and thanks to Russell for the pleasure I got from this rant. To really get the full flavor of LM's equating ACT (an Ayn Randian NZ political party) with Nandor et al (indeed, seeming to prefer the "more upbeat" ACT), I found it fun to compare their programmatic statements as available on the web.

Sorry to subject you to this, but here is the ACT "principles" and "economic policy" from their webpage http://www.act.org.nz/ --------- [START ACT vomit]

Our Principles

That individuals are the rightful owners of their own lives and therefore have inherent freedoms and responsibilities

That the proper purpose of government is to protect such freedoms and not to assume such responsibilities. ... Getting Government Off Business' Back

New Zealand benefited greatly from the elimination of wage, price, interest rate controls and import licensing in the 1980s and early 1990s. Since then, however, governments have found other ways of smothering productive people with red tape and bureaucracy. Compliance can cost large businesses millions of dollars each year and a disproportionate burden falls on the self-employed and small and medium-sized businesses. These businesses supply most of our jobs yet they are weighted down with regulations. ACT wants to eliminate unnecessary regulation and red tape and give businesses the freedom to create jobs and wealth.

ACT's goals:

To ensure that all government regulations are subjected to a cost-benefit assessment. To create an environment in which businesses can operate without the hindrance of unnecessary and restrictive laws and regulations.

ACT believes:

The ability of businesses to create jobs and wealth is currently impaired by an excessive array of government rules and regulations.

The Resource Management Act is proving unwieldy and costly to implement. Compliance with the RMA has become a bureaucratic nightmare and the process is too costly and uncertain.

ACT will:

Reform the Resource Management Act.

Introduce a Regulatory Responsibility Act that would make it much more obvious in future if a proposed regulation had not been properly analysed, or was likely to do more harm than good.

Require, by this Act, all regulatory proposals going to Cabinet to be accompanied by formal high quality cost-benefit assessments that identified the problem, the objective and all reasonable alternatives.

Require, by this Act, the issue of compensation to be formally addressed whenever a regulation is proposed that would impair property rights.

Review all major regulations in the last three decades that impose costs for uncertain benefits.

Greatly simplify the tax system, make the penalties regime fairer to honest taxpayers, and look at reversing the burden of proof when the IRD makes tax assessments.

Immediately eliminate the restrictive employment laws that destroy jobs. [END ACT vomit] ---------- and here is the "Political Statement" and bio from the webpage http://www.greens.org.nz/people/tanczos_n.htm of LM's bete verte Nandor Tanczos (email hempstor at ihug.co.nz)

[START Nandor Tanczos stuff]

"Huge numbers of people in this country have been alienated from the political process. They don't vote, they don't even enroll, because they see nothing to represent them. Mainstream politics seems to have nothing to offer anyone who is not satisfied with just more of the same.

"The difficulty for many people is that the status quo is killing them. Destruction of the systems that life depends on continues unabated. Poverty forces more and more people to accept hazardous living conditions, inadequate health care, diminishing opportunities to improve their situation through education or employment.

"We have seen multinational companies ram raid the economy and our government help them divide the spoils. Corporations have been subsidised by wage earners and small businesses under the guise of the free market. It is time to see a parliament that put the interests of citizens and the environment above those of financiers.

"I don't claim to have all the answers, but I do know what life is like for ordinary people. If we are to have any kind of future we must begin to treat the planet and its people with respect. That means involving and representing them in decision making. "

[and bio] Durham miners support group activist 1983-84; Peace camper RAF Molesworth Cruise Missile Base 1985; Peace Convoy (UK) 1985-86; Student liaison for Beneficiaries and Unemployed Movement,Hamilton, 1989 Co-initiator of the Revolutionary Tea Train national bus tour l99l-92; Civil rights and Non Violent Direct Action workshop facilitator since1991; Board of directors of NORML New Zealand 1992 until 1995; Involved in the anti roads movement and free rave scene, UK, 1995. ALCP candidate, 1996 (5th on the Party List). Green Party candidate for Auckland Central, 1999 (gained 12.8% ofthe Party vote and 9.2% of the electorate vote) Elected to parliament, 5th on the Party List. Co-organiser of the Waitangi Day One Love/Unity celebrations in Auckland; Member of the Ras Tafari faith.

[END Nandor Tanczos stuff] ---------- Seems the ACT Ayn Randians actually *do* have the LM position on "resource management" - no? Charles sure got it right on the "tory" bit. Though I do regret Heartfield, who was entertaining and informative both when he was in a world I could recognize as the one I am living in (quite a bit of the time) and when he was rilly rilly off the wall.

Ohmigod, will it seem that I am blocking with the Proyectitites? Be assured that in fact, I am a Bhandarianist. The very opposite...

john mage