[Fwd: Re: Is Bad Writing Necessary?]

ssherman ssherman at gborocollege.edu
Fri Dec 10 11:07:50 PST 1999

the situation is actually worse than Katha originally stated. Not only are graduated students expected to learn to write that way--they are expected to learn to think that way to! According to the nominalist logic (sic) of 'radicals', if one part of the world oppresses another part (which we might call the south, or the third world), then to identify that part of the world (again, as say, 'the third world') is to participate in the oppressive structure. If capitalism is an oppressive system, then to call it a system is to participate in it. In fact, since we all know how hierarchical and oppressive structures are, better to emphasize contingency, permeability, trangression, etc... Analyzing the structures becomes akin to supporting them, and, although this may seem insane to most readers of this list, trust me I am not distorting their message. In interview situations they can act like quite the minature cops, trying to guard their fortresses against anyone who wishes to identify systems, oppressed groups, etc.

Steven Sherman

===== Original Message From lbo-talk at lists.panix.com =====