[Fwd: Re: Is Bad Writing Necessary?]

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Dec 10 15:23:19 PST 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, ssherman wrote:

> the situation is actually worse than Katha originally stated. Not only are
> graduated students expected to learn to write that way--they are expected to
> learn to think that way to! According to the nominalist logic (sic) of
> 'radicals', if one part of the world oppresses another part (which we might
> call the south, or the third world), then to identify that part of the world
> (again, as say, 'the third world') is to participate in the oppressive
> structure.

Program gripes aside, I'd note that the worst kind of censorship of intellectuals is simply not being able to find even a mediocre job in this lovely be-bubbled economy of ours. The violence of the Rightwing's war on public education turns into the internalized violence of a hypercompetitive post-doc marketplace. When hundreds of people apply for a single position, everyone involved starts acting like the giant crustacean in "Godzilla vs. The Crab Monster".

-- Dennis (doing the job search right now, so I know)