public debt

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 11 09:44:26 PST 1999

[Bounced bec of an address oddity. Enrique's right; Japanese gross debt levels are very high, but much of that debt is held by the postal savings system. Debt in public hands is 39% of GDP, a hair greater than the U.S., which has the lowest net debt of the G-7 countries. Net interest payments are just 1.4% of GDP, the lowest in the G-7; the U.S. is 1.5%, Germany is 3.2%, and Italy 7.0%.]

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:03:28 -0500 From: Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at ee.cornell.edu>

Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Daniel Davies wrote:
>
> > >Gross debt is already 130 per cent of
> > >gross domestic product, the worst in the Organisation for Economic
> > >Cooperation and Development, and rising fast.
> >
> > AAAAAAAARRRGHHH!!!! If I see one more repetition of this meaningless damn
> > statistic, I swear I'll eat my own trousers in frustration. The Gross debt
> > of Japan, compared to the flow of GDP, is a number which is utterly
> > uninformative about Japan's ability to pay its debts.
>
> It isn't? How come? And be gentle, it's my first time hearing this.
> But I'm eager to learn.

If I understand it correctly, a huge chunk of that 130% is made up of "pension liabilities" and such. In other words, IOUs that the Japanese government(s) and government entities write to themselves and each other. Publicly held debt is more like 40% or so.

> BTW, what would be a good measure of an OECD country's (in)ability to pay
> its debts? Do you mean all that guff about 130 percent being such a bad
> thing for Italy and Belgium and Greece is just that, guff?

I think _publicly held_ debt is the key measure.