More on the Eugene Anarcho-Primitivsts

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Sun Dec 12 14:02:52 PST 1999

Seattle Protesters Shun Consumption

.c The Associated Press

By JEFF BARNARD

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - On a quiet street in Eugene's oldest and funkiest neighborhood, a mural on the side of an art gallery expresses the idyllic world vision of many of the anarchists who took part in the Seattle protests against the World Trade Organization.

It is a far cry from the scenes of confrontation and violence that included black-clad youths jumping through the broken windows of a Seattle Starbucks.

Instead, the mural reflects a longing for a world where people live in small villages and grow their own food without global corporations running their lives, where the sun rises on a village of small huts and terraced gardens while sunset falls on an abandoned sawmill and a hillside covered with stumps.

In the foreground, a nude woman reclining in a forest uses a quill pen to mark a map of radioactive hazard sites. Another woman, one breast lost to cancer, strings webbing on a snowshoe.

``The goal is a sustainable planet,'' said Tim Ream, a veteran of a 75-day hunger strike to protest logging. ``We have species dying off at the greatest rate since mammals came on Earth, and it's happening because of Western consumption.

``What we need is to spread power back to small communities and individuals.''

The mural shows ``the civilized world being eaten up in a natural way,''

says anarchist Tim Lewis.

Lewis was in the middle of the Seattle melee, which occurred the week after Thanksgiving. He videotaped clashes between demonstrators and police as part of his CopWatch project.

Eugene's anarchists acknowledge that they were in Seattle in force, but point out that only a few of the hundreds arrested actually had Eugene addresses and that anarchists from lots of other places took part.

In fact, the city of 150,000 seems more concerned with the success of the University of Oregon football team and with being politically correct.

Still, while anarchism by its nature is not organized, it has enough of a presence in Eugene to spawn its own institutions in the city's old Whiteaker neighborhood. The Free School offers classes on subjects from anarchy to vegetarian cooking. Cafe Anarchista hands out free coffee and

books from a handcart. Food Not Bombs cooks veggan meals for the homeless.

Eugene's anarchists have been branded rabble-rousers since a June 18 protest march in Eugene turned into a riot.

And even before that, local anarchist John Zerzan's books and pamphlets calling for a return to the primitive were being compared to the anti-technology manifesto of Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, whom Zerzan visited in jail.

A quiet unassuming man, Zerzan, 56, lives in a low-income housing co-op just a short walk from the mural on the side of the Jawbreaker art gallery. He gets around on an old bicycle rather a car.

Despite a master's degree in history, he makes his living baby-sitting, so he can have more time to write - with pen on paper at a desk made from an old door.

``Classical anarchism, 19th century anarchism, concentrated on the state

- abolish the state, smash the state,'' said Zerzan ``I think there are much more pervasive and deep-seated forms of domination than just government. We are looking at not only capital and how deep that relationship is, but technology and even civilization.

``Look at what is going on. Everybody is on antidepressants. The teen-age suicide rate has tripled in the last 35 years. If things were going along OK, this wouldn't make any sense to start thinking there were some deep-seated stuff that needs to be re-examined. Sadly enough, that isn't

it.''

James Johnston, co-director of the Cascadia Wildlands Project, an environmental group and an organizer for the International Workers of the World, sees a lot of similarities between the Eugene anarchists and the Wobblies who rode the rails trying to unionize Northwest logging camps in the early 1900s.

``People feel angry and alienated, unable to achieve change through conventional means,'' Johnston said. ``Peaceful protest just doesn't seem to work. So people are taking the Wild West approach, which is breaking windows, throwing rocks and sabotage.

``The root cause and solution to it is everything is too big and everything needs to be smaller.''

At a coffee house called Out of the Fog, an anarchist hangout where passing trains periodically drown out conversation, Shelley Cater acknowledges that the world anarchists want is a distant hope.

``I don't know if we can go back to the hunter-gatherer awareness with the global awareness we have,'' she said. ``It's really hard to conceive

of a world without governments, without corporations.

AP-NY-12-12-99 1606EST

Copyright 1999 The Associated Press.