US hasn't accepted India's need for N-deterrent Holum

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Sun Dec 12 16:38:39 PST 1999

11 December 1999 US hasn't accepted India's need for N-deterrent: Holum By Ramesh Chandran The Times of India News Service WASHINGTON: In a very precise and categoric manner, John Holum, the senior-most Clinton administration official dealing with non-proliferation and disarmament issues stated here on Thursday that the US had not accepted the idea that India needs to have a credible minimum nuclear deterrent in its arsenal. Holum, who is the senior advisor to President Clinton as well as Secretary of State Madeleine Albright for arms control, non-proliferation and disarmament told foreign journalists: ``A core point of our dialogue with India has been our belief that every country determines its own security requirements. But we think that from our perspective, India's security requirements are best served without a nuclear capability''. He stated that the Administration did not ``acquiesce in or accept that capability'' and his comments scotched some recent speculation that Washington is gradually veering towards accepting the reality from a South Asian security scenario that India is well served by a nuclear deterrent capability. Speaking at the Foreign Press Centre, Holum, a former Director for the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency which was subsequently merged with the Department of State, was reviewing non-proliferation issues for 1999 and looking ahead to the year 2000. He said the US did not have the ability to judge India's security requirements but its own assessment of regional security factoring in both Pakistan as well as China did not imply that New Delhi needed to have a nuclear capability. On the contrary, Holum responding to a question stated that now that a proper government is in place, ``We hope India will sign the CTBT. We have been following with great interest the ongoing debate in India regarding the signing of the treaty. It seems to me that the CTBT is consistent with India's own policy of having a moratorium on further tests. So signing the treaty is not a giant step. It is relatively an easy one, though it may be controversial''. Holum, who also has the responsibility for coordinating security assistance programmes emphasised that the Administration was still ``looking for progress'' on the various ``benchmarks'' it had established before sanctions imposed against India and Pakistan after the May 1998 nuclear tests, could be completely lifted. The so-called benchmarks include strategic restraint and adherence to the CTBT, negotiations on the Fissile Material Cut-off Treaty and export controls on nuclear knowhow. He pointed out: ``The benchmarks remain integral to US policy'' and added that some sanctions had been eased under the Glenn Amendment for both India and Pakistan using the presidential waiver authority. Further progress will ensure lifting of the remaining sanctions and the signing of the CTBT would also contribute towards ``defusing an arms race in South Asia''. He also told correspondents that India was an indispensable party for the treaty to go forward and ensuring its ``entry into force''. Holum was also asked about China's determined efforts to help Pakistan with its nuclear and missile programmes and its technology transfers on this field. He stated this has always been closely monitored by the Administration. He rejected suggestions that the Administration has been soft on China in the past in this regard citing examples when sanctions were imposed against Beijing. Despite recent confirmation by American intelligence sources that Beijing may have transferred M-11 missiles to Islamabad, Holum maintained that a ``determination'' confirming the transfer of the M-11s was still being made by the Administration adding that its perception and the intelligence evaluation may differ at times before full-scale sanctions could be imposed. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|
For comments and feedback send Email Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 1999.