US labor

Mon Dec 13 10:06:29 PST 1999

Right on ! Charity begins at home.

CB

>>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> 12/13/99 12:28PM >>>
After all we've been hearing about the evil foreign countries that oppress labor unions - all of which is true, of course - we've got the beloved Mayor of NYC, Rudy Giuliani, threatening to bankrupt the transitworkers union if they should dare strike later this week. Under NY law, the strike is illegal, so Rudy's on firm ground. The union has been dismal, preparing neither the membership or the public for a strike, and showing no imagination at all (why strike? why not let the public ride for free instead of collecting fares?). But still, the most fundamental labor right of all, the right to strike, is denied right here in the capital of capital. How about a labor rights march right here, down Broadway and across Wall Street?

Doug