Joseph Heller

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 10:58:27 PST 1999

I just learned that the great Joseph Heller, author of Catch-22, has died at the age of 76. Five years ago Heller wrote a sequel to Catch-22, Closing Time, that contained one of the best send-ups of plutocratic excess I've ever read -- the wedding of uber-entrepreneur Milo Minderbinder's daughter, set at a lavishly redecorated Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City.

The following is an excerpt from the AP story reporting Heller's death:

"Set in present-day New York, 'Closing Time' was Heller's mellowest work, and his bleakest. It contrasted the optimism of Yossarian, now wealthy and involved with a nurse, with a world that seemed unlikely to outlive him very long.

"'I tend to see my people as living in a vacuum, not anarchy, but living in a void of meaning -- even my King David, who despairs because God doesn't talk to anyone,' Heller said.

"'It used to shock me and alarm me and discourage me that there was a general decline of everything of value. But it doesn't surprise me anymore. It seems inevitable and natural and there's no way to resist it.'"

Carl