Andersen on Marx

Mattcapri at aol.com Mattcapri at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 16:32:41 PST 1999

Well, I must respect this fellow for going out on what, perhaps for some shoddy reasons, is a tenuous limb. As I read the first 5/6ths of the article I was anticipating the positive reactions of my co-workers, and even my go-playing/engineering student stepbrother as I painlessly slip them a bit of Marx deftly packaged in this article. It's an excellent article, and now I wish I hadn't missed out on Spy in its day. But, the following paragraphs seem a little creepy, I'd say it's from too much Star Trek, but those scriptwriters don't manufacture fear so much as locate it when they present the ultra-dystopic, borg. Perhaps I overreact, maybe a cute, friendly machine working on a degree in Oral History at the New School will interview me some time in the 2060's. Probably in this very room, if only by virtue of my good health and longevity.

<<The great new philosophical and political schism of the 21st century will concern computers and their status as creatures rather than machines. In my lifetime, the sentimental regard for computers' apparent intelligence -- their dignity -- will resemble that now accorded gorillas and chimps. And it will not stop there. In his book, "The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence," Ray Kurzweil, the computer scientist, quite convincingly predicts that around 2030 computers will begin to seem sentient -- that they will "claim to be conscious." And by the end of the century, he writes, there will no longer be "any clear distinction between humans and computers."

I find his scenario altogether plausible. And as it unfolds, I am certain that this astonishing new circumstance -- machines that think, machines that feel -- will provoke political and religious struggles at least as profound and ferocious as the earlier wars over Christianity, huits Gandhi, too.>>

and its BJP???

mcapri