Cleanser of Krajina buried

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Dec 14 15:54:05 PST 1999

At 15:50 14/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Chris Burford wrote:
>
>> he earned the cool disapproval of the west by openly cleansing
>> Krajina 0f 150,000 Serbs in 1995, by his failure to cooperate with the
>> Hague tribunal on war crimes, and by his authoritarian style.
>>

> This is just splendid, Chris. Presumably "the West" means something
>other than the NATO countries that supervised and assisted Tudjman's
>Operation Storm . And it must exclude the War Crimes tribunal that somehow
>never got around to indicting Tudjman. Sometimes I think you're just pulling
>our collective leg. Any truth to that?
>
> Seth

Not on this occasion. At the time I thought the cleansing of Krajina was particularly objectionable. How would you explain say Germany not sending someone like Kohl, or Tony Blair not sending Mrs Thatcher or at least John Major! (Just imagine what the attendance list will be like at Mandela's funeral.)

I think it is probably true that "the West (including all those you mention) hope that Tudjman's party will lose the election in January. I was basing myself on an article by Steve Erlanger of the New York Times. It seemed to be unlikely to be wildly wrong.

Or do you think the west is strongly backing Tudjman's party now?

Chris Burford

London