Is "jargon" jargon, was Re: dead topix

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 14 17:19:44 PST 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

>(2) In part I think your concern is based on lack of acquaintance
>with how these users of jargon *actually talk to people* when
>they are (using the old Plekhanov-Lenin-etc distinction) engaged
>in agitational work (as opposed to theory, propaganda, or
>intra-movement polemics). In over 30 years not *once* have
>I ever offended a *non-marxist* whose political solidarity
>I wanted with what you call jargon. It doesn't even occur to
>me.

I'm not arguing with you, or commenting on your style; for all our differences, I've never seen you talk like these guys at the Labor Party meeting did. And while there were quite a few Marxists at the LP meeting, there were quite a few non-Marxists too, just ordinary unionists of radical bent.

Doug