NYT sucks

David Dorkin ddorkin at aye.net
Tue Dec 14 21:37:32 PST 1999

I agree, though El Pais generally is not my favorite, it and all of the center left papers in Europe and Latin America tower above the Times, and not necessarily because they publish more radical material (El Pais has been deteriorating for some time now) but they are just more likely to cover places and events that the NYT etc cover about once a year and publish essays that would only appear in journals or the Nation here. Coverage on, say Italy or France is always awful in the Times when it appears, but it's such an occasion when it actually does appear that I almost dont notice. It's pretty significant that even Mexico has La Jornada, Argentina has Pagina 12 and the US can't even put out one liberlish much less left of center daily and self-styled liberals pass off the Times as a quality paper.

For me, reading dailies was a very important part of my education-I'm glad I started in Italy with Il Manifesto and France with Liberation, Le Monde and L'Humanite (for all their faults), etc. Perhaps even a liberalish daily is out of the question in the US for the moment, but it would be something if one could pull it off (yes, I know about the internet...).

Dave