Dissent on NY's newspapers

Mattcapri at aol.com Mattcapri at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 21:37:58 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/14/99 11:00:10 PM, ddorkin at aye.net writes:

<<http://www.dissentmagazine.org/archive/fa99/tomasky.html

I can't believe I read the Who-o-ole thing. What tripe. On the subject of papers are folks aware of the existence of Le Monde Diplomatique? Excellent, but a monthly, available in French at well stocked newspaper stores. The truncated English translation is a bit of a pain in the ass to get a hold of. You must first subscribe to the Manchester guardian Weekly then you have the option of a piggy-back subscription.

Tomaksy's tone reminds me of Walter Rodney's mention of Albert Schweitzer in "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa." I don't recall the exact wording but it was to the effect that Schweitzer dismissed germ theory and had goats and chickens in the operating room in an attempt to adapt his medical practice to the African culture.

ah, here it is (is quoting frowned upon?)

<<An excellent example is the kind of work done in Gabon by Albert Schweitzer, who was in charge of a dirty unhygienic hospital with dogs, cats, and chickens running around, under the guise of fitting into the African culture and environment. >>etc.

People dont often get my metaphors, though I suspect his one is fairly clear.

They must know better, and the arrogance of deliberate foolishness is a callous insult and disservice to those who don't. mcapri