OJ Jury Knew the Score: 3000 LA cases may involve planted evidence, forced perjury

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Dec 15 04:21:24 PST 1999

In the land of OJ, it turns out the jury probably had a better evaluation of the likelihood of planted evidence and defendant framing than the oh-so-smart establishment. Combined with a similar case of widespead framing of suspects in Philadelphia, these cases should be raised high as examples of the racism and violations of rights endemic in police abuses across the country.

--- Nathan Newman ====================================

December 15, 1999 Cop Scandal May Affect 3,000 Cases By The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- More than 3,000 cases may have been tainted by widespread corruption within the Los Angeles Police Department, the district attorney and public defender said.

The number of criminal convictions based on false testimony and other corrupt actions by Los Angeles officers originally was estimated at about 500.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Gil Garcetti called the scandal ``the biggest problem I have seen in my 31 years'' in office.

Garcetti said the scandal centering around former Officer Rafael Perez likely will lead to the release of more inmates and more convictions overturned.

Perez in September began telling investigators about officers in the Rampart Street division involved in beatings, planting evidence, perjury and wrongful shootings, one of which left a man paralyzed and in prison.

Perez's information, given in return for a reduced sentence in a cocaine theft conviction, led to the dismissal of 11 other cases, as well as the suspension of a dozen officers. Dozens of other convictions are in question.

Public defender Michael Judge said his office is reviewing more than 800 potentially tainted cases involving Perez. Another 2,500 cases being reviewed involve other officers from the Rampart division's anti-gang unit who either have been fired or are under investigation, Judge said.

No officers have been charged in connection with the scandal. Garcetti said it's unclear how many officers might face charges.

``I can't tell you whether we will wind up with three, four or five dirty cops or 25 or more,'' Garcetti told the Los Angeles Times for a story published today.