Great Cockburn/St. Clair piece on Seattle

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Dec 15 08:16:41 PST 1999

> Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair have an excellent column in
> >NY Press this week -- "Who Won in Seattle? -- about the attempt of
> >liberal "respectable demonstrators" to swipe credit for the success
> >of the anti-WTO protests from the "pernicious rabble" who did the
> >heavy lifting and actually did achieve that stunning success.
> >Unfortunately, the article is not available on NY Press's web site.
> >I have no idea how those outside NYC can get this piece.

Apparently, some of these "respectable demonstrators" are nervous about their roles as media-appointed leaders of the anti-WTO protest.

Here's an account from a D.C. anarchist and IWW member who was teargassed in Seattle and who attended the Trade Coalition press conference with me yesterday:

"On the funny note, I got stopped on my way into work today by Mike Dolan (I think that's how he spells his name I don't really care, he sucks.) He accosted me for showing up at the labor press conference and told me I had no business being there. I told him that I just wanted to ask him how he took credit for organizing the entire Seattle Protest when the people at the Convergance space had never heard of him as late as the 29th of November(to clarify that is the day before the shit hit the fan) and what gave him the right to co-opt the work of so many genuine activists? He wouldn't answer my question and he just decided to walk away. F that guy."

-- Chuck0

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month Executive Clemency For Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/lpfreedommonth.html

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now! http://www.infoshop.org/gulag/mumia_idx.html

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe