handicapitalism

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Dec 15 11:22:09 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [The WSJ website includes a link to a slick webzine, WeMedia
> <http://www.wemedia.com>, targeted at this market. Marta, any
> comments?]
>
> Wall Street Journal - December 15, 1999
>
> People With Disabilities
> Are Next Consumer Niche
>
> By JOSHUA HARRIS PRAGER
> Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
>
> Handicapitalism.

snip

Comments yes, yuck and no surprise to me that the propaganda is flowing so freely in the Wall Street Journal. A few thoughts:

WE is one predictable outcome of a movement which was largely steered by the likes of Evan Kemp (Invacare) and Justin Dart Jr. (Dart Industries, Rexall) and other Republican pwds who believe in capitalism. The ADA, which this article demotes as less relevant to pwds "success" than the profit motive *is* a free market civil rights bill produced in the spirit of 1990s consumerism. It was drafted from a pro-business mentality.

WSJ: "In 1995, according to the latest available census figures, there were about 48.5 million people 15 and older with disabilities in the U.S., with annual discretionary income totaling $175 billion. "

I find this really hard to accept. The same census bureau says that poverty is disproportionate amongst the 54 million Americans who have some level of disability. Statistics tabulated by John McNeil of the Census Bureau (1994-1995 data) show the poverty rate for people with no disability to be 13.5 percent compared to a poverty rate of 20.2 percent for those with disabilities. The 1998 National Organization on Disability (NOD)/Louis Harris Survey, found that fully a third (34 percent) of adults with disabilities live in a household with an annual income of less than $15,000 compared to one in eight (12 percent) of those without disabilities - a 22 point gap. Furthermore, the gap between disabled and nondisabled persons living in very low income households has remained virtually constant since 1986 (four years prior to passage of the ADA).

And the NOD/Harris Survey annual income cutoff at $15,000 doesn’t paint a complete picture of the depth of poverty some pwds endure. For example, since $720 is the average per month benefit that a disabled worker received in 1998 from Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and $480 is the average federal income for the needs-based Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the real income of over 10 million pwds on these programs is between $5,000 and $10,000 - far below the $15,000 mark.

Data from John McNeil of the Census Bureau shows a negative association between earnings and disability. In 1995, workers with disabilities holding part time jobs (pwds are more likely to work part time) earned on average only 72.4 percent of the amount nondisabled workers earned annually. Such wage differentials were observed for pwds working full time. Median monthly income for people with work disabilities averaged about $1,500 in 1995 - 25 percent less than the $2,000 earned by their counterparts without disabilities (the yearly mean income of pwds was $7,812 in 1992).

Of greater significance is the chronic unemployment of pwds. A 1998 Survey by the National Organization on Disability/Louis Harris found that among working age adults with disabilities (18 to 64), three out of ten (29 percent) work full or part-time compared to eight of ten (79 percent) of those without disabilities, a gap of fifty percentage points. The unemployment rate for people with disabilities remains much higher than for the population as a whole, with only one-quarter of persons with severe disabilities working. The overall combined (severe and nonsevere) disabled unemployment rate is 65-70 percent. Among people with disabilities who are not employed, 79 percent of working age pwds report that they would prefer to work but John McNeil of the Census Bureau finds that pwds are less likely to have a job than people with no disability. For those ages 21 to 64 with no disability the likelihood of having a job is 82.1 percent. For people with a non-severe disability, the rate is 76.9 percent; the rate drops to 26.1 percent for those with a significant disability.

The name "WE" seems rather assumptive. Who are the WE crowd? I would guess they are the aspiring wanna-be yuppies. Ignoring or ignorant of the wage gap between disabled and nondisabled, the high unemployment rate, the enduring below poverty living conditions of millions of pwds, WE crowd produces this glossy lifestyle magazine which glorifies disability consumerism in the face of gross inequality. Millions of pwds could never afford these products WE revers so highly. If some do acquire them it is because a government program will pay for it! There is the government supporting booning business of disability products! What happens when government cuts back on durable medical goods, assistive technology devices, and other "buying power" of pwds? Then there are those few who have inherited wealth, and won it in medical malpractice or other lawsuits. But I would guess that most of the buying power comes from the more elder disabled population who have had a lifetime or near lifetime of working (acquring a bank account) before they became disabled.

These WE wanna be disabled yuppies follow the same misguided path as most Americans who believe that prosperity can be theirs. A few of them will, no doubt, become the darlings of the business world for following the corporate line and will be rewarded handsomely for perpetuating a giant hoax. This makes it seem as though pwds are more prosperous than we are.

It is highly disappointing to me to see the word handicapitalism fostered onto the world - when pwds in developing nations sleep in the streets, remain the outcasts of the world, and when pwds in developed nations still have no access to libraries, jobs, etc because there are no civil rights to enforce establishments to provide a ramp or braille or interpreters. Disappointment is to put it mildly - these WE people suck.

Marta

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/ramps.html