Great Cockburn/St. Clair piece on Seattle

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Thu Dec 16 03:14:18 PST 1999

Nathan, I have to say, you haven't persuaded me. If, after Seattle and the more general demise of WashCon ideology, we're now in a relatively more decisive situation, it is crucial to establish political and strategic clarity -- really, militancy -- of the sort St Clair and Cockburn are advocating.

I wasn't in Seattle, but I -- and a great many South African leftists (quite a few of whom did go) -- have now moved quite decidely towards the nix-it position. This particularly relates to campaigning for defunding the IMF and World Bank.Your job will be to persuade us that fix-it has integrity, and that the kinds of BWI reforms (gender, environment, transparency and participation) won over the past 15 years or so have made the world a better place.

We know -- not just from that Economist article but from real life -- that the reforms have co-opted NGOs. Insider strategists have had a nice time. But on the ground, BWI conditionalities associated with stingy debt relief packages actually make matters far worse (I'll be happy to document this in great detail if you like, using their "best case," Mozambique).

So now the battle lines are indeed clearly drawn. The more that Oxfam USA and their ilk endorse the IMF's discursive strategies, the harder it is for grassroots activists to say "WB/IMF out of Pretoria" or New Delhi or Brasilia or wherever. The Jubilee South conference in Johannesburg three weeks ago, for instance, mandated Northern solidarity activists to support a "shut-down" (not reform) position.

You're talented, and we need you on the radical side of the WB/IMF/WTO's "enemies list," comrade. Join us!

Patrick