Malthusians on the March

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Thu Dec 16 04:16:39 PST 1999

Dunno about LM - I would have thought a more traditional marxist critique would have sufficed. A critique (in opposition to the Malthusians) would merely point out contradictions at the level of accumulation and not overconsumption and waste as the fundamental problems. The side effects you describe have always been symptoms of the anarchy of the market and I doubt there's much disagreement there (even with LM). The issue would probably be where you place your emphasis. The green "critique" (obsession) is of (with) symptoms, not fundamentals. Their solution is of course that "the other" should get their houses in order and practice sustainability, or we shall just have to help them to do so for their own good. Speaking of houses - I personally wouldn't quote Venturi - he's a lousy architect. Maybe my modern movement prejudices are showing here. And speaking from South Africa, most people here would certainly not be bored by a darned side MORE in the way of modern consumables.

Russell

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 6:04 PM Subject: Re: Malthusians on the March