Sniff. Sniff.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 09:31:41 PST 1999

Jeffrey St. Clair wrote:

>Power
>must shift and not, as Doug suggests, incrementally, through the microscopic
>reforms of calcified and corrupt institutions.

I don't suggest that at all. Here's what I said in my Seattle report, which my Suck critic singled out as an "unapologetic Machiavellianism" worthy of Don Corleone, one that showed the presence of "Lenin's syphilitic ghost":

"Sober reformists are incapable of understanding that they need immoderates to help make their case; without crazies to which they can appear like moderate alternatives, no one would ever listen to them."

On that spectrum, I feel a lot closer to the crazies than the sober reformists. I don't believe the WTO or the IMF can be "fixed"; they're institutions of a global bourgeoisie from top to bottom. Where did I ever suggest otherwise?

Doug