Vote for Karl Marx!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 16 22:03:49 PST 1999

Art McGee wrote:

> "Real" Marxists would not seek to promote the efforts of one man over
> other equally revolutionary people.
>
> "Real" Marxists would instead be trying to bump Nelson Mandela and Martin
> Luther King up higher, along with Marx, and help keep Gandhi where he is.

I'll buy your negative argument, but your positive suggestions are as focused

on the last century or so and on Europe as the vote for Marx. Gandhi is a vile choice, and if you are going to pick a 20th century African leader it should probably be Lumumba or Cabral.

Was "the world" really enough of a single entity during the last 1000 years to make the choice of one or even 10 greatest "men" sensible?

And if you must pick a western figure from the last two centuries (and Mandela and Gandhi are in many ways western figures), then Marx makes sense because you find his impetus behind the achievements of so many other men and women. Perhaps one should select some who are anonymous (or at least not known to me by name): the last defenders of the Alhambra against the Castilian barbarians.

CArrol