Vote for Karl Marx!

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Fri Dec 17 07:51:34 PST 1999

I like and admire (and hear) comrade Art and his BRC folk very very much... BUT

On 16 Dec 99, at 21:48, Art McGee wrote:
> "Real" Marxists would instead be trying to bump Nelson Mandela
... up higher...

BUT no, this isn't right. I risk being politically incorrect, but here we go anyhow.

There are "real" South African marxists who would fight you on this, comrade. (I'm not one, but I hear of a few in the woodwork.)

We witnessed an historic sell-out here during the 1990s, as I think you know. There was a personality, ok ok, "Individuals are dealt with here only in so far as they are the personification of economic categories, the bearers of particular class-relations and interest" (KM). But I think that this personality could have represented the interests of black and working/poor people more than he did, and he could have represented less well the interests of international financiers and rich white South Africans.

I could say more, but await your return of returned serve.