state & markets

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 17 08:10:27 PST 1999

At 10:14 PM 12/16/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Nathan: << Does global capitalism need these
> >multinational institutions to exert its power? Unlike you, I am not
> >convinced that the answer is yes or even that capital would be weaker
> >without them.
>
> Doug: That's a good question, and I can't figure out the answer. >>

If we assume, as Rosa Luexemburg & Co. did that capitalism needs a constant expansion to maintain its profitablity and survive them yes, multinational institutions are the means of opening "markets" for capitalist exploitation and can be thought of as a life support of monopoly capital. recurrent crises is another option, but not very viable politically, I suppose.

wojtek