Fwd: Re: Zim economy "near implosion"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 17 07:07:03 PST 1999

[sent to listowner rather than list]

From: "Patrick Bond" <pbond at wn.apc.org> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 06:40:12 +0200

This is where I'll be for the first two weeks of January. My guess is that after about a year of Z$40/$1US (in November 1997 the Z$ was 9 to US$1, and inflation has averaged around 35% since then), the currency will be fairly radically devalued, then exports will rise and the implosion will be avoided. But yes, structural flaws associated with the 1990s IMF/WB macroeconomic policy have wrecked this once extremely industrialised (31% of GDP at peak) economy... A workers' party (the Movement for Democratic Change) is putting together a programme and should win a majority (or near it) of seats in parliament in an election (to be held sometime between April and August), and then boot out the corrupt, venal Mugabe in the 2002 presidential election...

Date sent: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:31:23 -0500 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Zim economy "near implosion" Send reply to: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com