Grumpy lefties and VENONA

bill fancher fancher at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 17 10:09:33 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:
> bill fancher wrote:
>
>>Of course, there is the inconvenient fact that conspiracies do exist. We
>>might look to the recent ADM lysine price fixing convictions as an
>>example.
>
> So why did the Wall Street Journal investigate ADM and the government
> successfully prosecute them?

I'm not sure what the point is here. How does this bear on the fact that ADM conspired (with others) to fix prices, as proven in a court of law? Are WSJ and DOJ required to be complicit in all conspiracies?

> There's a difference between a criminal
> conspiracy and conspiracy as the normal mode of operation.
> "Conspiracy" seems like a vastly oversimplified version of class
> analysis, and one that treats the conspirators as almost always
> successful.

ADM wasn't very successful in this instance. But what does it matter that the case at hand disproves the charge. Conspiracies MUST NOT exist. This is axiomatic on the left.

Elsewhere Doug wrote:

> If They can kill JFK, might as well give up.

While I don't have convictions one way or the other on the JFK assassination, this argument is common and fallacious. After accepting the (false) premise, the reader is left to complete the syllogism: we shouldn't give up, therefore They didn't kill JFK.

-- bill

"Truth unfolds in time through a communal process." CQ