WTO, observations

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Dec 17 13:13:17 PST 1999

Doug,

First of all, the overriding of standards does not involve undoing domestic laws about what domestic producers do. The WTO never said that the US could not demand turtle excluders for its fishers. It is that the US cannot unilaterally impose its own environmental laws on other countries without their consent via the mechanism of protectionism. The latter smells like imperialism to me. The question remains as to how global environmental agreements are to be mutually and multilaterally agreed upon. Somehow the protests only focused upon situations where LDCs were violating domestic US enviro laws, not situations where the US is in violation of global accords, however "tepid."

You are right that the ICFTU supports having the WTO impose ILO standards. And I'll buy that the ICFTU represents a lot of folks. So, this one is up in the air. Good question as to how we would determine the answer. Although I strongly suspect that when push comes to shove and a particular country's exports are being hit, their labor unions are not going to be enthusiastic, if they have any.

You say that protestors in Seattle all know about US human rights violations and oppose imperialistic US policies. Well, of course I only read the Harrisonburg Daily Wanker, so I don't know much, but I saw zero reports of any protestors at Seattle saying anything about any US policies (aside from those supporting the WTO in general). All the specific complaints reported in the media I saw (wank, wank) focused on Third World evils.

I certainly saw nothing about the anti-dumping suits, and when this was brought up on pen-l it was dismissed as "irrelevant" and good old Max Sawicky even began a lot of heavy breathing about "predatory pricing," suggesting the real AFL-CIO position on that one, which is that they love the anti-dumping suits.

BTW, I am no fan of what the US wanted to do with intellectual property at the WTO.

The real point of the Sweden example is that trade is simply the wrong place to be hitting for achieving anything of any significance on any of these issues. Perhaps it is easy intellectually or politically to focus on the WTO. But it is intellectually and politically lazy. As I said on pen-l, where is the movement to shut down Washington until the US gets serious about the multilaterally agreed upon Kyoto Accords. No, the tepid groups are not calling for that. Instead we have demands for LDCs to obey US enviro laws or face trade sanctions. Still looks like hypocrisy to me. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, December 17, 1999 3:34 PM Subject: Re: WTO, observations