Reason & "Paranoia" (was Re: Zizek within the limits of mere reason)

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 17 16:22:09 PST 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:50:23 -0500 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> ... doesn't hold up unless you have already accepted the premise of
psychoanalysis.

Sure, the premise being, "stuff exists." I would have thought that this is the limit beyond which one cannot think, the failure to grasp this resulting in a psychotic breakdown.

> It's an attempt at substituting an assertion for an
explanation...

Explanation is always retroactive, it presupposes assertion, and as retroactive, it is tautologically self-justifying.

ken