Sierra Club On It's WTO Activities

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Dec 18 02:47:12 PST 1999

Brad, you didn't notice half a million demonstrators in Bangalore a few years ago demonstrating against GATT on grounds it would hasten multinational corporate penetration of their seed stock? Same as turtle-loving steelworkers. The potential for global popular unity against neoliberalism is really formidable.

And surely the 1998 IMF recap debate -- amongst critics that is -- was not about more or less globalisation, but rather between left attacks on the institution's neolib ideology and the banking interests it represented (and ordinary people it kills), in contrast to the right's concerns over institutional wasteage/corruption, IMF promotion of statism, and waning yankee power (and maybe slightly about NY banks getting bailouts). The right had more (hundreds more) congressional votes and therefore both refunded the IMF last October and also made it yet more vicious, more expensive and shorter-term in orientation.

Which says to me, don't do alliances with Trent Lott, Pat Buchanan and the like, because if you aren't bringing more to the table than Saunders, De Fazio and Kucinich, you will lose in a terribly unsatisfying way. Spend the time and energy on building the base to demand full defunding of the IMF and World Bank, starting with getting your pension fund, university endowment and the like to boycott Bank bonds. (Brad isn't listening now and wouldn't get it anyhow; but others out there do?)