WTO, observations

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 17 11:08:59 PST 1999

> 8. Is it not the case that the end of the conference meant
> the end of pressure on the EU to end its export subidies in
> agriculture? Are these not environmentally damaging as
> they encourage excess use of pesticides, etc.? Do these
> subsidies not discriminate against exporters from LDCs
> as exemplified by the Cairns Group (that includes some
> well-off countries, including Canada, Australia, and New
> Zealand)?

As far as I know, all the French groups in Seattle (including Jose Bove's Confederation Paysane) are 100% against the european 'export' subsidies _because_ they are environmentally _and_ socially damaging. I do not think only the French have this opinion.

So, there is also pressure from the inside in Europe. And you seem to forget that the US also have subsidies on agriculture that are just as socialy and environmentaly damaging (check out the sugar industry in the Everglades, I read that recently myself). But who cares in the States, when all the subsidies go back to politicians through political campaign funding ? Not you obviously.

And, I may be wrong (so please correct me), but I was not aware that the pressure came mostly from LDCs, it seemed to come more from the US so they can export more of their own environmentaly and socialy damaging agricultural products (that are probably produced with as much pesticides as in Europe).

Yours,

Jean Christophe Helary