Zizek within the limits of mere reason

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 18 13:38:48 PST 1999

Ken:
>I doubt it. Do you really think anyone read his essay on the Double
>Blackmail
>and left with the impression, "Zizek is just like a NATO fighter pilot."

We get the impression, "Zizek is not like a NATO fighter pilot." And that's the problem.

>>Considering this fact, I think Zizek should thank paranoid conspiracy
>theorists. There's nothing like the menace of an ultra-right nationalist
>victory -- its real power is created by right-wing paranoia, and its
>mythical power is projected by liberal paranoia -- that helps to shore up
>Zizek's politics.<<
>
>I suppose you'd rather have had the fascists win, eh? I'll take
>left of centre feminist and eco-liberals to fascists every single time,
>without
>a moment of hesitation. You think he should have run for the communists? (you
>think they had a chance?)(isn't this precisely the kind of idealism that
>Zizek
>finds deplorable - because it basks in either its jouissance of victimhood
>and
>powerlessness or its self-righteous Marxo-Heideggerian jargon?)

"What is rational is actual and what is actual is rational" (_The Philosophy of Right_), or so says Zizek the parliamentarian. As a Hegelian, Zizek thinks that the recognition of reason in the world "is the rational insight which reconciles us to the actual, the reconciliation which philosophy affords" (_The Philosophy of Right_). Philosophy gives not criticism but "consolation" (_Logic_). As with Hegel, Zizek's criticism of idealism is simply a cover for his absolute idealism.

Yoshie