question re:post-war shift from economic rights to pseudoconsumer rights

Mark Rickling rickling at netzero.net
Sat Dec 18 18:40:03 PST 1999

The putative shift from a producer society/culture/discourse to a consumer one is a pretty hot topic among American historians currently. For staters, try Meg Jacobs, "How About Some Meat?'": The Office of Price Administration, Consumption Politics, and State Building from the Bottom Up 1941-1946," Journal of American History, v.84 n.3 (December 1997): 910-941 and Lizabeth Cohen's new text entitled A Consumer's Republic: The Politics of Consumption in Postwar America. That one might not be out yet though.

mark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 2:07 PM Subject: question re:post-war shift from economic rights to pseudoconsumer rights