WTO, nationalism.

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Dec 19 15:26:20 PST 1999

What follows is a hodge-podge:

Trade is a major factor in determining wages, but many other factors also exist. I think first and foremost we must consider the power that labor can muster both on the micro-and macro level. The degradation of labor's legal status has been monumental. In addition, there is a large literature that describes the transformation of jobs from being white male to female or person of color. For example, the initial typists were male since a typewriter is a machine and machines are the purview of males. Later secretarial work became a female occupation. Yoshi's example of the meat packers is probably better. Incidentally, I just saw Barbara Koppel's American Dream last week -- very sad indeed.

The military might of the United States is another factor making it possible to transfer jobs from place to place. Several times, I've written that the Vietnam War was a watershed in this respect. Perhaps unions could come to recognize the military spending is not the job creator that many believe it to be.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu