Barkley on WTO, etc

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Dec 19 16:23:35 PST 1999

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:
> So the AFL-CIO isn't the avant garde of the revolution. We all know
> that. They're showing more signs of enlightenment than they did 5
> years ago, which is something that deserves at least a brief round of
> applause.

Hear, hear.

> I'll bet that were there unions and some kind of left in China, it'd
> be opposing China's WTO entry. Since the government would immediately
> jail such forces, we can't poll them directly. But what would
> solidarity with the Chinese working class dictate in your eyes,
> Rakesh?

There damn sure is, one need only go to chinabulletin.com to find it, but most of the articles are in Chinese, not convienient if you don't read Chinese of course. There is a left in China that is slowly developing an alternative to the dogma of Deng and the dogma of a brand of official Maoism that has little to say to the problem of how to organize workers in today's China...One might want to look at the May 1999 New Left Review interview with Wang Chaohua and Li Minqi, who were debating with Wang Dan on the direction of China ten years after Tiananmen.

Steve