Daughter of Jerusalem

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Sun Dec 19 17:10:02 PST 1999

2 December 1999 Interview Daughter of Jerusalem In Israel's male-dominated political establishment, women find it very hard to break the glass ceiling. Naomi Chazanmakes light of her spectacular political career, modestly claiming that things came easily to her. But the professor of political science has proved her mettle holding high-profile posts in the last Knesset where she variously overlooked foreign affairs, defence, economic affairs and women rights in a number of committees. In the present parliament, apart from heading various committees, she is deputy speaker as well. She feels that her greatest achievement has been her role as founder of the Israeli Women's Network. She spoke to Lalita Panicker, while on a recent visit to India, of the peace process and the difference that women can make to a country's politics. In what way is the Ehud Barak government's functioning different from that of the previous one of Binyamin Netanyahu? I was a strong opponent of the last government, indeed my party has always opposed it. But is is unquestionably a refreshing feeling to wake up in the morning and know that Netanyahu is no longer there. But the Barak government is not problem-free. There are 15 parties which have been elected to a Knesset of 120. So you can imagine how difficult it is to maintain coalitional discipline. I am more a dove than Barak but on the peace process, he has delivered quite a few good surprises. Unlike Netanyahu who would sign agreements and then do nothing, Barak is committed to peace and implements agreements. His government has inherited a difficult domestic situation, there are economic problems, secular-religious tensions and so on. There were high hopes that the peace process would really get going under Mr Barak. Where is it at now, in your opinion? Well, the Sharm el-Sheikh agreement had three phases -- release of prisoners, safe passage and troop withdrawal from some areas. All these have been implemented. The next phase will now begin -- a second redeployment of troops which will lead to last phase. Here Oslo is complete. Then begins the task of dealing with the difficult issues like settlements, refugees, boundaries, water and Jerusalem. A Palestinian state is obviously going to come about and it is desirable that this happens. It is essential for Israel's interests. Safe passage should have been implemented four years ago. We must remember that human beings are involved, family members who have not seen each other for years. This breeds resentment, anger. Opening the passage created a different mood, it is worth its weight in gold in terms of security. Is Yasser Arafat considered by most Israelis as the man you can do business with even now? Absolutely. He is not a warm person like King Hussein of Jordan was, he is no Nelson Mandela, but let us face it, he is an extraordinarily skilful negotiator. We are concerned about his health because we want to complete this process with him. Do you feel that this reciprocity clause which Mr Netanyahu insisted on slowed down progress since the Palestinians had nothing much to give? I do not disagree with the reciprocity principle but not the way Netanyahu used it. He had no intention of pursuing the Oslo process to its logical conclusion. He was looking for some excuse to stall it and the manner in which reciprocity was used was completely distasteful. The region's leaders like President Assad of Syria, President Mubarak of Egypt and Mr Arafat are aging. Do you not feel that time is running out in concluding the peace process? I completely agree with this. At best, I feel we have another year with Palestine, Syria and Lebanon. Their leaders are aging and ailing. Israel would go to the negotiating table tomorrow if the Syrians agreed. It is obvious that we will pull back from the Golan though the boundaries need to be worked out. But perhaps the succession issue has not been resolved in Syria and so Assad is hesitating. I feel we should come to a deal with Assad and not wait for a new leader. We will withdraw from Lebanon without an agreement, maybe by this summer, because public pressure is building. Another reason we should hurry is the US elections, who knows how long it will take to educate a new American president on the complexities of the region. You have been a pioneer in the women's movement. How difficult is it for women to function in politics and other fields in Israel? If more women were to enter politics, women's issues would be better dealt with, men will not do this. Too many important decisions on peace, security, foreign affairs, defence, economy etc have been made by men. Women's participation in politics can only strengthen democracy, you cannot exclude 50 per cent of the population. What was your experience, was it difficult to reach where you are now? To enter was easy, to remain was not. I find I am scrutinised not just for my performance but for my dress, hair etc. Sometimes, people even listen to what I have to say. If you deal with male issues like foreign affairs, you have to prove you are better than men. We have two peculiar problems, one is the compulsory draft service. The army is a discriminating institution, women were allowed into combat only recently thanks to my legislation. The military is a key to social stability, those who rise in the army spill over into politics. These are invariably men. The other is that all personal laws are in the hands of religious organisations, none of them gender equal. Religious parties don't include women at all. The struggle for secularism in Israel is really a feminist struggle. Do you favour reservation as a method of getting more women into politics? Yes, it is a necessary interim measure. I led the struggle in my party for reservation. Meretz has a 40 per cent gender clause at the municipal and national level. Out of its 10 parliamentary seats, Meretz has four women. Now that giving women seats has proved electorally profitable for Meretz, others are following suit. Let us go back to a contentious issue between Israel and its neighbours, that of water. How serious is this? Suha Arafat recently made some remarks about Israel contaminating water sources in Palestinian areas. I found those offensive. I have spent 20 years seeking a dialogue with the Palestinians and her remarks don't help anyone. I agree there is no equality in the use of water. It is not so important to figure out who controls the water as how to manage it. The Palestinians are on the wrong side of the watershed. We are now trying to make desalination economically viable. There are also proposals to import water. So on the whole, you are painting a positive picture for the region. Yes, there are potholes ahead, but we have to look on the bright side of things. We really have no alternative.
|For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|
For comments and feedback send Email Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 1999.