Chinese left

Dennis Shih Hua Lai delai at earthling.net
Sun Dec 19 22:18:43 PST 1999

Hi! Steve, you probably can read simplified Chinese better than me. I just read some of the articles that has been translated into the traditional Chinese characters that I am familiar with. I can now see what you're talking about. I guess that ideology could, in some way, embedded in 'writing'. I will try to dig out as much as I can from those articles.

chia-yiu(cheers in Mandarin)!

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Stephen E Philion Sent: Sunday, December 19, 1999 10:09 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Chinese left

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Dennis Shih Hua Lai wrote:

> My initial impression is that this website isn't

too much different from the official brand of Maoism but it can be that the

maintainer is trying to avoid the censorship if the website

is located within China's domain.

If one want really want to dig out what their position is one

probably have to be an insider or read much more extensively.

Steve writes:

I would say it contains both and definitely a real alternative to the embrace of liberal ideology that tends to characterize most media material and literature in China. I'm quite certain the website maintainer is in the US at the moment. You can find articles that make clear and coherent criticisms of the dominant Dengist and Maoist positions. There are also articles that clearly stick to an official Maoist critique of Dengism. The main purpose of the webpage is to offer Chinese access to a left critique of the ideology of markets that Chinese, especially intellectuals, are inundated in the official media day in and day out. I think in the next day or two I'll put out a translation of a 5 page critique of the mainstream Maoist position on the fate of China's SOE workers.

Steve