Rudy v. Marxists

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Dec 20 08:03:20 PST 1999

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:17:56 -0500 "frances bolton" <fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu> writes:
>Doug posted the following:
>>
>>That, the mayor said, "means taking jobs away from people. It means
>>seeing unemployment go up. It means really hurting people who need
>>the most help. And it's a true misunderstanding of what America is
>>all about. That comes from the influence of Marxism, and if you need
>>any better indication of it, it was said at a Marxist study group.
>>
>>"So philosophy is important. It has done a tremendous amount of good
>>things to help people, and the isms and ideologies of this century
>>have cost an awful lot of human lives," the mayor concluded.
>>
>Huh? I see that each of these words is english. I even see that some
>small
>groups of them, when taken together, make sense (ex: the mayor said)
>but I
>cannot, for the life of me, figure out what he's talking about it the
>second
>paragraph. What does he think philosophy is about?

Rudi has a hard enough time with art, now you are expecting him to know about philosophy? Rudi is hardly the first American politician to attempt to capitalize off of being a yahoo or a philisitine, I guess though people are a little taken aback to see that sort of thing in the mayor of the Big Apple. But then again didn't Mayor LaGuardia support the withholding of a teaching position for Bertrand Russell at City College?

Jim Farmelant