Wen Ho Lee Support

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Mon Dec 20 10:16:11 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Now who's confusing anti-Chinese regime sentiment with anti-Chinese
> sentiment in general? I have no idea what Jimmy Hoffa or Mike Dolan
> think of this, and I don't give a fuck either. It looks to me like
> Wen Ho Lee is the victim of a racist and paranoid campaign.

But, Doug, you said in a excited post shortly after returning from Seattle that you had nothing but unequivocal praise for Dolan and the other Naderites' performance in Seattle. Yet, a key plank of their rhethoric featured some rather nasty generic China bashing, fulminations which did not differentiate the regime from the country and it's people. In fact, it played right into the Yellow Peril chest-thumping that's been building inexorably for the past three years, which the Naderites and Hoffa have been stoking as feverishly as Dan Burton and Christopher Cox. If you don't see the connection between the WTO issue, Wen Ho Lee and the campaign finance"scandal", you haven't spent enough time listening to the Naderites on talk radio shows such as Chuck Harder.

JSC

PS--to answer Max's query: Hoffa has inveighed lately against the Chinese with the same filthy rhetoric he has spewed out regarding Mexican truckers. But with a key difference: the Hoffa routine on the China is flavored with both racism and red-baiting.