Rudy v. Marxists --> is beauty for the wealthy

gcf at panix.com gcf at panix.com
Mon Dec 20 18:56:20 PST 1999

> chuck0 -----------------
> sometimes these issues boil down to beauty in our lives. The rich get to
> surround themselves with beauty, whereas the poor and the working class
> have to deal with shit.
>
> Of course, the Eugene anarchists once again are relevant here. They have
> deliberately started a campaign to "uglify" parts of Eugene that are
> undergoing gentrification, in an attempt to make the Yuppies unwelcome.

alex lantsberg:
> doesn't this mean that the anarchists are in effect saying that poor people have
> no right to beauty in their neighborhoods and communities?

No -- they're apprehending the reality of the class war. Whether their scorched-earth strategy is the best one is certainly debatable, but no strategy and no action will almost certainly result in the displacement of the poor from anything they beautify. That's what's going on in New York City's Lower East Side right now, and a good many other places around here. The poor may have a theoretical right to beauty (and safety) in their neighborhoods and communities, but it's not enough of a right to keep them from being kicked out, or, at best, relocated to anonymous Welfare tombstones someplace the rich don't care to live.

Gordon gcf at panix.com