Who Killed Vincent Chin? (was Barkley on WTO, etc)

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Mon Dec 20 23:26:02 PST 1999

From: Max Sawicky
>Arguments resorting to connecting one's opponent
>with murderous, racist acts is the last resort of . . .
>
>I got it. Of liberals.
>
>A not particularly progressive strain of liberal.
>The anti-labor kind.

I always thought a struggle against racism, nationalism, xenophobia, sexism....was a contribution towards strengthening the independent outlook of trade union/worker organisations. Apparently not. A critique of what (admittedly from about 10 000 miles away) seem to be very real problems in the US labour movement is taken by Max as a liberal attack. Where I come from, fighting against bourgeois prejudices amongst working people is part of a long and honourable tradition. Pandering to them would be the worst kind of economism. But unfortunately, there's a long tradition of that too.

Russell