Who Killed Vincent Chin? (was Barkley on WTO, etc)

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Tue Dec 21 05:54:42 PST 1999

Back in the 80's after this incident happened, I had 3 or 4 letters published cautioning my fellow union brothers and other union friends not to kill anyone over a foreign car. In the letter I recounted how Chin a Chinese American driving a Japanese car had been killed. I asked rhetorically if it was worth killing someone over a foreign car. In my opinion it was not!

By the same token at the same time foreign steel import penatration had reached 50% or more in some product lines and steel production had slumped to around 40% of or less of steelmaking capacity.

Personally, I think the Steelworkers and other unionists at that time showed true courage and self control in the face of terrible adversity.