Zizek on NATO

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 21 15:57:28 PST 1999

Doug:
>I asked Slavoj Zizek to clarify his position on the Kosovo war. He
>responded by sending me a 22-page piece, "NATO as the Left Hand of
>God," which is a longer version of a piece that has appeared
>elsewhere. It was written for a Verso collection on the war, but the
>editors rejected it.
>
>I haven't read it yet (though I'm about to). I'll send a copy to
>anyone who asks.

Thanks for sending me a copy. The oddest comment in the entire piece is this:

"One thing is for sure: the NATO bombardment of Yugoslavia did change the global geopolitic coordinates. The unwritten pact of peaceful coexistence (the respect of each state's full sovereignty, i.e. non-interference in internal affairs, even in the case of the grave violation of human rights) is over...."

Then again, it's not really "odd" if you dont think of Zizek as a "leftist"....

Yoshie