Migration, Etc. (was Re: Wen Ho Lee Support)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Dec 21 14:55:49 PST 1999

. . . Kwong leaves no doubt that the fundamental cause of the trade in illegal immigrants is not the greediness of the foreign snakeheads, but rather that of American capitalists who demand labor so cheap, only illegals can provide it. . . .

*****

Have you read the book?

[mbs] No and your summary does not encourage me to. Sounds outdated and prone to bromides.

At an ADA conference a couple of years ago, the head of HERE raised the cause of workers with little or no documentation and received full support. I forget exactly what the resolution was. There is NO problem re: the policy stance of labor & liberals (the pro-labor kind) on immigration.

. . .A look at the conditions of agricultural workers -- wages have not improved for the last couple of decades, and in fact they have generally steeply declined -- says a lot about this thorny question. Lots of workers are still fighting for toilets in the field, decent housing with hot water & good plumbing, and the like. We see that in Ohio, Florida, and elsewhere. In manufacturing, lots of undocumented workers must be working for small sweatshops subcontracting for large corporations. How do unions meaningfully represent such workers?

[mbs] In fact one of the AFL's major campaigns has been to organize the strawberry workers in CA. There may be all sorts of problems with the way they have gone about this, but they did put serious resources into it.

Depends. I'm not alarmed as Rakesh seems to be. In fact, I think the only thing we get out of the campaign may be simply lots of cacophonous noises against "globalization" -- same as before, and nothing of substance may

[MBS] If you want substance, check out the Teamster's pamphlet about WTO on their web site. If you didn't know the source, you would take it for the output of some kind of progressive group. Personally I was amazed.

Beyond that, Marty's statement is really another way of saying reform no, revolution yes. Insofar as this amounts to posturing behind anti-capitalist slogans or philosophy, it is anti-political.

I suppose there is a wish for 'clean' situations like strikes, or demos in the name of All the Working People. And no futile resort to solutions from an inherently hostile, irredeemable government.

But workers, sensibly doubting the practicality of revolutionary movements, will always look to government reform first. And their leaderships are not so stupid as to deny themselves demands that can actually be won. As to what "capitalism" can or can't provide, the truth is we really don't know till we try. And until we know, revolution just isn't an option.

mbs