Migration, Etc. (was Re: Wen Ho Lee Support)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Dec 22 06:31:34 PST 1999

I'm going to relate individuals' concerns to the broad issues, as
>best I can.

Surely Max has it the wrong way round? Unless a core of mainstream organised workers is convinced on the hard issues like standing up to racism, they'll never possess even the minimal independent outlook which will allow them to build and lead a broader movement which will win on bread and butter issues of wages and conditions as well. You can't win workers to an "internationalist" outlook on the basis of narrow economic issues. That kind of approach will only reinforce "common sense" economistic sectionalism and allow the hold of nationalism (implying racism, sexism, etc) to persist. Russell

Possibly yes, surely no.

Re: "narrow" and "economistic", see "Teamsters and the WTO; What You Need to Know" at www.teamster.org for a sample of the contrary.

I'll go further out on a limb, from your standpoint, to say I don't think "internationalism" is the foremost issue for organizing right now. Rather, there is the more fundamental task of stoking enthusiasm for the elementary notion that collective action in support of an expansive trade unionism is worthwhile.

mbs